caring kids  

Monday 7 June 2010

I just wanted to say, that there are times when kids get a bad press, but on the whole, the way kids care, really warms my heart.

When Deion came out of hospital with his NG tube, he was really worried about how the other kids would react if he went back to school. Its not like you can hide it. And I have to say, we held our breath that first day back, after all, we are talking about kids who don't have much experience with special needs on the whole, so it would be new for them too.

Well, Deion was asked questions at first, which he answered, and no-one seemed all that bothered or treated him differently as far as he was concerned, but Deions key worker spoke to me at the end of the day and he was surprised at the sheer number of kids who came up to him and just wanted to know that a) Dee was okay and b) the tube didn't hurt him.

It goes to show that having kids with special needs in mainstream school, works, and works well, not just for the child, but it promotes a caring attitude in other kids too. The teachers I've spoken to have noticed a change in the pupils attitude since Deion started too. It makes me proud now that we fought so hard to get him there.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


9 comments: to “ caring kids

  • J.J. in L.A.
    7 June 2010 at 22:12  

    I LOVE this!!!

    Kids aren't mean by nature, just curious. If you answer their questions in a straight-forward manner, they'll be satisfied and accepting.

    It's the staring and "what's wrong with you?" questions from adults that tick me off because some kids will think it's okay.

    Sounds like Deion has some great classmates/teachers!

  • Linda
    7 June 2010 at 22:28  

    I agree with you, Sally, about mainstreaming kids. BUT, they have to be able to verbalize and keep up academically. I've seen the "No Child Left Behind" used in the US, and the kids that are retarded, etc, really shouldn't be put in the same class as the otherwise 'normal' kids. It makes the whole class fall behind. We have paras for the handicapped kids, and that works well, until he/she has a meltdown, and then the class is really disrupted.

    I have a SIL that is profoundly retarded, and I can tell you, she would never have done well in the traditional school setting. She is in a group home, with 5 other women. They have a facility that they go to each day to work on life skills. None of them will ever be able to live on their own.

    I'm glad Deion was able to be accepted in such a positive way.

  • Trojan Gordon
    8 June 2010 at 23:49  

    I agree with both JJ and Linda...kids left to themselves can be honest and straight forward and most of all caring... thanks for sharing this story and I hope Deion continues to have a positive experience at school.

    Much love Troj

  • Sally's World
    9 June 2010 at 15:58  

    J.J. you are so right, and we get more negativity from adults than we do kids...amazing, I encourage curiosity, and if someone says whats worng, we just say, "with who?"

    Linda, I agree that it depends on the child, no way would Aaron have coped in a mainstream school. So inclussion for Aaron meant a special school that could cater for his abilities and define an individual program for every child...even behaviourwise, he would never have coped.

    For Deion, as his disability is purely physical, inclusion meant mainstream.

    The goverment loves to spout on about inclusion, and treating every kid the same, but the truth is every kid is different, yes, give them all the same oportunities to learn, and develop, but as parents, we are duty bound to place (and fight for) our kids to go to the place that will help them meet their own potential whatever that may be.

    Inclusion for me, means what is academically achievable, not physical.

    we are very lucky to have that.

    Hi Trojan, yeah, he's loving it, he seems so grown up all of a sudden xxx

  • The Me/ The Wife/ The Mom
    10 June 2010 at 02:36  

    Don't you love the way the human race can surprise you?!

    I'm happy for Deion and YOU!

  • Missy
    13 June 2010 at 23:51  

    I think Mainstreaming is so important for all children involved. I cannot believe it was ever an issue! I am happy for him and his classmates.

  • C.M. Jackson
    20 June 2010 at 04:07  

    Sally--wonderful post---so glad to see you are back and that your family is doing well--I've missed your posts!!

  • Tracey Axnick
    27 June 2010 at 03:46  

    Hi Sally.... Happy Wife Happy Life here...haven't been to your blog in months and months (lots has changed in my world!) Hope you are doing well. Sounds like the kids are doing well (Jordan wants to learn Japanese?).

    You know, I have found as well that a lot of kids can be very sweet and caring re: special needs. It is refreshing to see that, esp in the world in which we live (which can be so mean...)

    Take care, and stop by my new blog sometime (just follow the link).

  • Gloria
    1 July 2010 at 12:54  

    Sally, left tears in my eyes and a feeling of real optimism if this is an example of the kids of today who are of course our leaders of tomorrow. . . . but of course from what I read and from what I have personally seen, Deion is a great kid and his character would have gone some way in promoting the great reception he received. Go Deion!!!!!!!

    Hugs to you Salxx . . . Gloria

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster